1. White meat vs. dark meat. Choosing white meat will save you about 50 calories and 4 grams of fat compared to dark meat.
2. Green bean casserole vs. sweet potato casserole. Green bean casserole has less calories and less fat, however the starchier the sweet potato, the more nutrients, including beta carotene. If you are trying to lose weight, stick to green bean casserole, but if that's not the issue, than choose sweet potato casserol...but do so in moderation!
3. Pumpkin pie vs. apple pie. The slimmer pick here is pumpkin pie. The reason being is because apple pie has a double crust, adding more calories. It also uses vanilla ice cream, which adds on more calories than pumpkin pie's whipped cream topping.
4. Traditional sausage stuffing vs. dinner roll with butter. The dinner roll saves you 4 times the calories and fat compared to the stuffing. But if you have to have stuffing, do so with a smaller serving!
5. Jellied cranberries vs. gravy. Gravy is actually the skinnier selection of the two! That's because the cranberries have lots of extra added sugars causing it to rack up on calories.
Want to start a healthier tradition for Thanksgiving? If so, here is a healthy dessert to try that won't ruin your diet!
1 cup almonds
1 cup walnuts
1 cup chopped medjool dates
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 tsp. water
1/2 cup yogurt of your choice
1/4 cup pomegranate for topping
*Blend almonds and walnuts in food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend until mixture sticks together. Scoop out mixture and put into lined muffin tin. Sit in freezer for 10-20 minutes to settle. Top with yogurt, pomegranate, and coconut flakes.
Thanks for reading! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!