Spring is here! The weather is getting warmer, and Summer is just around the corner. If you haven't started yet, now is the time to get on a healthy track for a healthier and skinnier you! If you're wondering how to lose weight, need weight loss tips, or how to just stay healthy, follow our tips and advice below and you will be well on your way!
1. Eat breakfast. Start your morning off right with a lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. This will give you the right energy to be productive throughout your day. Try oatmeal with a low-fat milk, sliced almonds, and berries to top it off, and don't forget to add one of our Skinny Blend Shakes to your morning meal to keep you feeling full throughout the day.
2. Arrange half of your plate to be fruits and vegetables. This will add vitamins, minerals, and fiber to your diet. Frozen and canned fruits and vegetables are great alternatives, but make fresh options your top choice.
3. Watch your portion sizes. How do you know if you're eating the right portion sizes? Take a few minutes and get out those measuring cups to measure out your favorite foods. Once you do that, you will know how much of the foods you eat on a regular basis to consume. Use the same size plate for every meal, and portion size control will be easy from now on!
4. Stay active! If you're wanting to lose weight, exercising on a regular basis is a guaranteed weight loss for you! Besides losing weight, being active will lower your blood pressure and help you to control your stress level. If you can't get to the gym, take a walk around your neighborhood after dinner.
5. Make healthy snacks. Include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein, or nuts. Fixing healthy snacks to bring to work or school will help keep your energy level up and to keep you from over-indulging at a meal.
6. Know your food labels. Make sure you know the ingredients of the foods you are buying. Check out the food label on them. How many calories or grams of sugar are really going into those "healthy" meals you try to make? The Food and Drug Administration has guidelines that are easy to follow and can help you re-evaluate what you are buying.
7. Talk with a Registered Dietitian or health coach professional. If you have minimal knowledge on nutrition, how to lose weight, lowering your cholesterol, or simply on how to eat better, one of these health professionals can walk you through smaller steps on how to get on the right track.
8. Follow Food Safety Guidelines. Make sure you follow these guidelines in order to stay healthy and keep everyone else healthy. Wash your hands, separate raw food from ready to eat food, make sure all cooked food is prepared properly, and refrigerate all food that needs to stay refrigerated so bacteria won't grow.
9. Put that apron on! Save some money, be healthier, and enjoy the rewarding experience of making a nice meal or snack at home. When you are in charge of your own eating, you can control how well you eat and are able to stay on a good track.
10. Don't ditch your goals! If you happen to go out to eat, don't forget about how hard you have worked and keep your goals in mind. Order meals with fruits, vegetables, lean meat, or fish. Keep in mind that grilled or steamed is always better than fried!
11. Make it a family meal! Turn the tv off, put your phone away, and sit down with your family at meal time. Research has shown that families that do this tend to eat healthier. When you do this, you are able to prepare and cook your own healthy meals, and bond with your family at the same time!
12. No more brown bag boredom! If you take your lunch to work or school, keep updating what you bring so you don't get bored with it. Choose a different vegetable or fruit to bring each day. The many colors of vegetables and fruits will keep you from getting bored.
13. Water! Drink more of it! Water helps regulate your body temperature, transports your nutrients, and gets rid of waste. The more water you drink, the more energy you will have because you won't be dehydrated. This is also very important when trying to lose weight!
14. Explore new foods. Change up your grocery shopping from time to time. Each time you go to a grocery store, try a new item that you have never tried before. This can open up a whole new world of nutrition for you, and you can get new ideas to use so you won't get bored with the same thing all the time.
We hope these tips help you in your journey to weight loss and a healthier life! Visit our website, skinnyjane.com, to read more about weight loss, health, nutrition, and gain extra motivation about becoming a skinnier, healthier you! Thanks for reading our Skinny Blog, and have a great day!