Almost everyone loves fresh baked goods, whether it be bread, cookies, cake or pie. Unfortunately, baked goods are not always the best weight loss foods or fast diet foods and can definitely hinder weight loss for women. They can be loaded with sugar, salt and bad carbs. Luckily, there are multiple ways that you can turn any old baking recipe into healthy recipes. Here's how:
- Substitute canola oil for shortening, stick margarine or butter.
- Use ground flax seeds, ground nuts or all natural nut butters in place of butter, stick margarine or shortening.
- Substitute pureed fruits or starchy veggies for some of the oil in your recipe (instead of 1 cup of oil, use 3/4 cup puree and 1/4 cup oil)
- Replace butter with yogurt
- Use whole wheat flour instead of white flour
- Use buttermilk instead of milk or sour cream
- Instead of sour cream, use plain Greek yogurt
- Use dark or semisweet chocolate instead of milk chocolate
- Substitute pureed dates, honey, maple syrup or molasses for sugar
- To thicken recipes, use gelatin, tapioca or pectin instead of heavy cream
- To moisten and add nutritional value, add in 100% canned pumpkin or sweet potato puree, grated veggies or smashed bananas
- Increase nutritional value by adding nuts, oats, spices and dried unsweetened fruit
By following these simple tips you can learn how to eat right when it comes to delicious baked goods!