Almost all of us are guilty of snacking throughout the day, whether it be while we are at work or watching TV at night, we can often find ourselves with a bag of chips or other snacks in our hands. Usually snack foods are considered to be junk food and unhealthy for us. Luckily, there are healthy snack foods out there and snacking right can help you to lose weight. Here are some reasons to turn unhealthy snacking into healthy snacking:
- Snacking can actually help suppress appetite, since it takes more calories to alleviate hunger than it does to prevent hunger. By snacking in between meals, you are less likely to overeat at your next meal.
- By snacking, you can help your body maintain a steady blood sugar level, which will ensure that your muscles will have a constant supply of fuel. Having constant blood sugar levels also helps us to stay energized and burn more calories.
- Healthy snacking enhances the variety in our diet and thus allows us to consume more nutrients and vitamins that we would otherwise miss out on.
Now that you know why healthy snacking is important and can help you reach your weight loss goals, here are some guidelines to follow while engaging in healthy snacking:
- Limit snacks to 100-250 calories.
- Consume your snacks about 3 hours after you eat a full meal.
- Snack on foods that are fresh and not processed.
- Snack from a plate or individual wrapping instead of the bag so you can limit your intake.
- Don’t participate in distracted eating.
Use these guidelines to start your journey of healthy snacking! Remember, snacking isn't all bad, it can actually help you to lose weight if you do it right!
Thanks for reading our Skinny Blog!