What is your current night time routine? Do you even have a bedtime routine? If you do, is it a healthy routine? Taking time to unwind and calm the mind is a great practice. Eating junk food or watching television till your eyes dry out is not. In today's blog post, we give you some tips to create a simple, bedtime routine that will give you better sleep while helping you lose weight.
Before we get started, here are some benefits of having a bedtime routine:
- Boosts Weight Loss
- Reduces Insomnia
- Helps Create a Better Morning
- Improves Mood
Okay, now that we have your attention here are Skinny Jane's 7 tips for creating a healthier bedtime routine:
- Turn off your electronics - Electronic stimulate the brain and can mess-up our internal alarm clock. You may also find yourself scrolling through social media or getting stressed out checking e-mail. When you decide it is time to start your routine (15 min - 1 hour before bed) put your phone in another room. Use your cell phone as an alarm? Put it face-down in your bedroom.
- Write a to-do list for the next day - To avoid morning stress or forgetting something in the morning - write a list! This will also prevent you from running through your to-do list at night. Instead, you can simply write it down and know it is there in the morning.
- Cool down - A cool setting allows our bodies to prepare for med. Turning the thermostat to 65-72 degrees, avoid a hot shower less than 1-2 hours before bed, and opening the windows are all good suggestions to cooling off and winding down.
- Spend time with your family - Again, put the phone aside. Take time to talk to your family or partner and just unwind. Avoid stressful subjects and talk about your day, a book your reading, or watch a show or movie together (at least 2 hours before bed).
- Sip tea or have a light snack - Sipping on chamomile, ginger, or another herbal tea will help calm your mind. Alcohol or caffeinated drinks can actually interrupt your sleep cycle so make sure to avoid these. A light snack may also help. Some snack ideas are: a handful or almonds, sugar free yogurt, a banana with peanut butter, 2 cup fat-free popcorn.
- Stretch - Take a few moments to do some yoga stretches or meditate before hitting the hay. Take some time to take long, relaxing breaths. If you need some help with meditation practices take a look at our post HERE
- Listen to music or read - Books and music can help ease your mind. Avoid loud or fast music. Instead opt for soft music and/or a fiction book.
Practicing these tips and getting into a regular routine will help your sleep improve. In turn this will improve your mood and being prepared for the next day can ease the morning stress and rush. The best benefit has to be weight loss. Avoiding mindless scrolling on social media, not sitting in front of the t.v., and taking time to focus your energy will all lead to better results.
Don't let this be you....